The Champions Program is a before and after school childcare program offered at all of the K-6 buildings in the Wayne-Westland Community School District. For a fee paid by parents, they provide structured childcare services before and after school, during school breaks and in the summer.
Before and After School Programs:
Supplemented with literacy, fitness and character-building enhancements, the Five Activity Areas serve as Champions' core curriculum.
- Take the Challenge - Homework options are central to Champions service profile. Depending on parent and school priorities, we offer homework as an activity choice, a contracted activity between parent and child, a mandatory part of every child's schedule, or a tutoring segment (for an additional charge). We also provide students with opportunities that challenge them mentally through the use of strategic games, books and hands on activities.
- Imagine That - Creative activities are a key to Champions programming. Children participate in arts and crafts, drama, music and dance, allowing creativity to blossom and reinforcing communication and literacy skills in a fun context.
- The Nature of It - Science projects help children begin thinking about and exploring the world around them. Projects are hands-on, fun, and highly interactive, sparking curiosity about nature and helping children realize that science is anything but boring.
- Sports Zone - Group and individual sports and games are highlighted in this segment. Children learn that sports, like any activity, require discipline and focus. They begin to understand that being part of a team means holding up your part of the bargain.
- Snack Attack - Snack Attack is an area where we encourage children to be aware of nutritious food choices and healthy bodies. We also focus on measurement through fun activities and discussion. Students engage in fun, hands on activities, crafts and experiments that use food and utensils.
- Read-Write-Now! Literacy Program and Book Clubs
- Sites dedicate at least 30 minutes daily to reading, writing, and vocabulary building. Our Book Club introduces a new work of children's literature monthly. Reading aloud to children conveys a proven benefit to reading progress!
Character Development Program:
Children shape important values in five key areas: community involvement, mentoring, conflict resolution, diversity appreciation, and family involvement. We developed the character program to address parent feedback.
Our wellness program focuses on physical activity, health, nutrition, goal-setting, and relaxation and stress management. Staff encourage healthy eating and physical fitness as a lifelong pursuit.
Our Learning Continum:
- Nurturing environments help prepare children for elementary school. Our character-building enhancement gives kids a jumpstart on teamwork skills and valuing differences while Read-Write-Now! encourages early literacy.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a 48 hour (2 day) processing period from the time a parent completes the enrollment process online and their child can begin attending the Champions Extended Learning Program. This brief window of time allows our management team to receive the enrollment, review for accuracy and create the child's file with the required documentation prior to the child's first day of attendance.
All of these programs are offered by KLC School Partnerships in cooperation with the Wayne-Westland Community Schools.
For more information, please visit http://www.discoverchampions.com/